May 22, 2009
Yesterday, I told you about a project I had started. Well, here it is. I was inspired by an old photo of a lovely model from 1929, with a very large hat. It was such fun to work on. I sketched an outline of the photo and scanned it into my computer. I adjusted the size in Photoshop and lightened the lines quite an bit. It was then printed onto computer printer fabric and fused to the background. The ticking stripe reminded me of a cabana and I had some left over from Isabella's doll bed mattress. It was the first time I had tried this method and it gave me a very nice "underpainting" to work from. I sandwiched the top with thin cotton batting and more ticking for the back. It was small enough to just pin instead of baste, and I stitched all together around the fused portion several times with heavy black thread. Now I was ready to do the same for a horizon line. Finally, I free motion stitched around the under painted lines. The painting was done with watercolor pencils and watered down acrylics. I heat set it with an iron when it was dry. I used a black micron pen, which is permanent for face details. The hat was crocheted using some hand spun linen/flax I picked up on Ebay a while back. It was tacked in place. I love the dimension the hat adds. The piece was trimmed and bound with a purchased bias tape, again I just happened to have the red in my stash. To hang it, I sewed an ironed flat piece of bias tape across the top back. I slipped in some doweling and added a simple crocheted chain from the linen. Done.
Posted by Roseanna Bogley at 8:55 PM